First Presbyterian Church was founded in 1804 when the village of Concord was only nine years old. It is believed to be the first congregation organized in the new town. Land records from that year include a deed dated December 14 “conveying 2 acres of land to Elders of ConKord (sic) congregation for ten pounds, to build a meeting house.” The first sanctuary, erected around 1810, was a simple log structure built on the hilltop of what is now Memorial Garden.
From these humble beginnings, our congregation has lived and thrived across three centuries. During this time, the church has occupied five different sanctuaries, all of which were located within a few blocks of that original log structure. As the city of Concord grew, so did the church. In 1880, the church brought Concord’s first pipe organ to town. The name “First Presbyterian Church” was first adopted four years later, and, in 1927, the congregation moved to its current location at 70 Union Street North. Designed by renowned church architect Hobart Upjohn, the late colonial style of the sanctuary was primarily inspired by traditional Reformed Protestant principles on what a worship space should be.
The longstanding commitment of the congregation to worship, missional outreach, fellowship, and Christian Education is too long and storied to relate here. Those who are interested in learning more are welcome to visit the Heritage Room adjacent to the chancel in the sanctuary as well as our History Room, which is housed on the second floor of the Education Building at 75 Church Street North (directly behind the sanctuary). On the occasion of the congregation’s bicentennial celebration in 2004, elders also commissioned the writing of a comprehensive history of the church. Leslie Rindoks’ The Psalm Singers of Concord Town tells our congregational story with authenticity, care, and faith.