36 Spring Street SW
Concord, NC 28025
Memorial Garden Hours
Memorial Garden is currently closed until further notice. We hope you will come visit when we are able to open again.
About the Garden
Located on Spring Street in downtown Concord, Memorial Garden sits on land purchased in 1804 for the original log-cabin sanctuary of First Presbyterian Church. Although the church buildings have long since moved, the garden continues to be a cherished and beloved part of the congregation’s history and heritage. Stone paths wind throughout the church’s 200-year-old cemetery, guiding visitors up and down gently sloping hillsides past ancient oaks, waterfalls, butterflies, sculpted hollies, and intricately carved white Italian marble markers.
The current chapter of Memorial Garden began in 1930, when Mrs. Sallie Phifer Williamson committed herself to restoring the church’s cemetery as a memorial to her mother. Renaming the plot “Memorial Garden,” she faithfully maintained and improved the grounds until her death in 1937. Her son, Marshal Phifer Williamson, continued his mother’s work on the garden until his own death in 1966. Today, the family’s work and dedication continues through a generous trust endowed by Mr. Williamson to support the garden.
Tax–deductible donations may be made to: Memorial Garden, PO Box 1193, Concord, NC 28026-1193