phone

Memorial Gardens

health ministry001

36 Spring Street SW
Concord, NC 28025
(704) 786-8009

Hours:
Tuesday – Saturday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, 1:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Closed Monday

memorial gardenMemorial Garden, approximately three acres, was purchased in 1804 by First Presbyterian Church for construction of its first sanctuary. The original building built in 1810, on the highest point of the property, was a 12 sided log structure. The second church building, erected of brick on the same site, was begun in 1835 and completed in 1837, mainly through liberal contributions of John F. Phifer. A third building was erected about a block away in 1874 on West Depot Street.

The rapidly growing congregation acquired land on North Union Street and the cornerstone of the First Presbyterian Church was laid on June 23, 1927.

Through the birth and decline of these early buildings, the graveyard was neglected. In 1930 Mrs. Sallie Phifer Williamson started restoring the cemetery as a memorial to her mother and renamed it Memorial Garden. After her death in 1937, her son Marshal Phifer Williamson continued maintenance of the garden until his death in 1966.

The garden is a privately owned cemetery of First Presbyterian Church of Concord and continues to be maintained through a generous trust from Mr. Williamson.

The Garden has annual display beds and borders entwined through the 200-year-old cemetery. Those making their way through the garden will find multitudes of plants, gently sloping hillsides, ancient oaks, winding paths, waterfalls, butterflies, sculpted hollies, and intricately carved white Italian marble markers. Your journey will take you from the past to the present.

We welcome visitors of all ages; however please use caution when walking up steps and rock ways. We do not have handicapped accessible walkways in all areas and do not have public restrooms.

Note: Hours may be adjusted for special situations.

Tax –deductible donations may be made to: Memorial Garden, PO Box 1193, Concord, NC 28026-1193

Garden Rules and Photography (PDF)

Service Schedule

Summer Worship Schedule

August Sunday Worship: 10:00 A.M.

Sunday School: Will not meet June 15 - August 3, 2014

News & Events

INTERGENERATIONAL SUNDAY SCHOOL PROGRAM

This August Sunday School for everyone is back...with a twist!  We welcome a new pastor and will be starting a new school year, and we are launching a new event in the life of Christian Education.  We will gather in Davis Hall at 9:00 a.m. on August 10, 17, and 24 for a light breakfast and to participate as a big church family in our new Intergenerational Sunday School Program!  We hope everyone of all ages will join us as we explore who we are, what we believe, and how we are called.  (Nursery will be available for infants-preschool).

 

SUMMER CHOIR

During the month of August, the Sanctuary Choir will meet on Sunday mornings at 9:00 a.m. in the choir room to rehearse the anthem to be presented in worship.  Youth and adults of all ages are invited to sing with us!

History

church053

THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH was founded in 1804 when the village of Concord was nine years old. In fact the first organized congregation in Concord is believed to have been Presbyterian.

Read More